There are a number of significant factors that contribute to the positive environmental choice of using steel for your cladding, roofing and siding needs. Steel is “the most recycled material on the planet, more than all other materials combined”
LUX Architectural panel is made from recycled materials and is itself 100% recyclable at the end of a buildings life cycle!
There are many reasons to choose LUX Architectural Panel’s steel over wood, fiber cement, Vinyl, PVC and even aluminum;
- LUX is actually less expensive than wood when it is compared to premium grade Cedar or Walnut. This is especially evident when considering the lifecycle maintenance of wood (including staining, removing moss and dealing with insects). LUX effectively requires no maintenance and will last a lifetime. Moss will wash right off, LUX is impervious to insects and there is never a need to stain, touch up or restore LUX Panel.
- Choosing to use steel actually helps avoid further taxing the renewable wood resource system. Consider that the construction of a typical 2000 sq.ft. home, it would take between 40 to 50 trees (about an acre) compared to only six scrapped automobiles. 
- Consider the reality that some popular siding choices such as fiber cement, vinyl and PVC cladding are simply not environmentally friendly materials. These materials are not recyclable and will generally end their life cycle in a landfill.
- Very few products can provide you with the type of Flame protection as LUX Architectural Panel. Even aluminum will melt well before the 24 Gauge Metal LUX is made from. LUX Panel has a ZERO flame spread rating and a smoke index of only 5 out of 100.
- Steel is extremely durable and our PVDF Paint (Polyvinylidene Fluoride, also known by the trade name Kynar) has exceptional wear and abrasion resistance. LUX can stand up to virtually all-weather conditions including salt-spray, high heat and extreme cold without fading, cracking or chalking.
- LUX Architectural Panel is sold in custom lengths from 4-24’ and in cut-sheets. Competitor products come in preset lengths often being 24’ long. This means costlier labour, more time on site and worst of all, more material wastage which is both damaging to your budget and the environment. Ordering in a cut sheet means that you get exactly the material you need for the exact specifications of your project. No wastage, no extraneous cutting, no downtime on site – simply unpack and install.
- LEED Credits – there are a number of opportunities to pursue LEED credits when working with LUX Steel Cladding. From recycled content to Innovation in Design, there are multiple avenues to pursue with LUX Architectural Panel that could make your project greener. For more information please review the green and LEED guidelines of the Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute http://cssbi.ca/sustainability/leed-v4
- The Recycled Content of our steel is 5% Pre-Consumer and 15-20% Post-Consumer with the documentation information required for LEED submittals.